Wednesday 10 December 2008

Koombana Bay Swim Thru 2008

Event Date - 30th November '08

Koombana Bay Swim Thru is organised by the Bunbury Masters Swimming WA club. The 1600m event starts in the water to the north of the Dolphin Discovery Centre and finishes south of the Centre.

I travelled the 120 kilometres from Perth to Bunbury in comfort, keeping Eleanor Parsons and her dog 'Chelo' company and stayed overnight at Eleanor's parents beautiful home overlooking the Bunbury Harbour.

Lately, the weather has not produced its usual summer days, however, we were lucky to have a sunny morning for the swim making Koombana Bay look beautiful with its soft, very white sand and sparkling blue sea.

After the usual course briefing, the event started in the water and was underway at 10:00am. By the time I reached the first easily sighted huge silver buoy, the swim crowd had thinned out. At this time I was able to concentrate on my stroke and rhythm. The conditions were reasonably calm, near perfect making the event very enjoyable, even if I swam most of the way without company. I finished in 22nd place with a time of 23min 20sec. The course may have been a little short but I was pleased with the result and enjoyed my first open water swim for the season. Alas, there was no sighting of my favourite sea friends....the graceful dolphin.

Snappers AUSSI Masters member, Eleanor Parsons finished in 15th position with an excellent time of 21min 40sec. Is she flying? .... Hey, wait for me Eleanor!

Bold Park Masters member, Vic Paul never ceases to amaze all by his swimming talent. At 64yrs he finished 2nd overall with an incredible time of 18.mins 49sec.

Another great open water swimmer and mentor, Barbara Pellick finished in 5th place.

A great week-end away, a great swim and so good to catch-up with great swimmers from Perth and country areas.






Koombana Bay competitors: (from left) Eleanor Parsons, Vic Paul and myself


Just keep swimming - a breathtaking experience