Wednesday 13 May 2009

An Amazing Experience

An amazing experience with two extraordinary people.

Philip Rush a New Zealand marathon swimmer who is the current world record holder for the fastest two and three way swims of the English Channel. Philip completed the two way in 1985 and the three way crossing in 1987. He has successfully crossed Cook Strait 8 times!! Other amazing achievements by Philip can be viewed on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Rush Philip now coaches and enjoys preparing swimmers to tackle the Cook Strait and the English Channel.

Shelley Taylor-Smith the world's top marathon swimmer who now resides back in her home State, Western Australia. Shelley remains the only woman in the world to hold the No.1 ranking in marathon swimming for men and woman (1991). I was lucky to be one of the time-keepers at this time to clock her swim into marathon history. There are so many records held by Shelley to list them all here, so please click on the link to find out more about this truly extraordinary swimmer: http://www.championmindset.com.au/ Today, she is Australia's No. 1 Mental Toughness Coach, holds Motivational Presentations and Workshops and is the Director and Founder of Champion Mindset ® Consulting. I am fortunate to have been one of her many clients.

Teleseminar - My Amazing Experience

Shelley Taylor-Smith set up a phone call through a teleseminar line so the three of us together (Philip in New Zealand, Shelley in Mandurah W.A. and myself in Greenwood W.A.) could discuss my 2008 unsuccessful solo crossing and ways of how to improve and create a successful outcome for this coming August attempt.

After dial-in procedures, Philip discussed in length the training, strengths, weaknesses, nutrition, feeding and mental attitude a solo swimmer needs to tackle the English Channel, sometimes referred to as 'the Ditch'.

We discussed in length my feeding plan. On my last crossing, We realised there was too much varied food to choose from which made me sick. So I will now keep to the basics using my plan below over the duration of my next attempt:

  • Carbohydrate drink - one that suits me and have used during training
  • Banana, mashed - Just because I love them and because they are filling
  • Carbo Shotz - watered down
  • Electrolyte drink

If needed some 'comfort food' like chocolate/cake.

BUT I will keep it all simple, I am a senior person and the older we are our digestive system does not work as it used to.

Training -5 to 10 kilometres more training per week has been advised, so - swim/eat/sleep etc. etc. zzzzz. At the end of August I will have a life!! Not complaining mind you. I enjoy training and all the health benefit it brings.

Through this teleseminar, I am able to draw on all of Philip's and Shelley's open water swimming expertise and own experiences. Both are such an inspiration and they have confirmed and instilled in me a bigger and better self belief in my coming dream.

Just keep swimming - a breathtaking experience