Monday 22 September 2008

A Dream - not fulfilled this year

For the past two years I have devoted most of my time training to attempt the ultimate long distance challenge (my dream) the English Channel which is approximately 21 miles (32 kilometres) - the shortest distance from England to France. It's not just the distance that is the challenge, it's also the variable conditions that are likely to be encountered. These may vary from mirror like conditions to wind force 6 and wave heights in excess of 2 metres. The water is cold, there are jellyfish, seaweed and maybe pieces of driftwood and oil slicks.

Andrew, Arron, Tony, Max and Carrol - cold water training at Lake Leschenaultia, Perth

Training, training, training....between July '07 to July '08 my log book is showing a total of 1280 kilometres swum either in the pool or open water (six weeks swim trek in Croatia plus a holiday not included). Dedication and self discipline are required to rise out of a warm bed at 4:45am to start a training session by 5:30am. My training has now come to an end here in Perth and I thank all the beautiful people who helped me along the way and all the best wishes given!!

BBQ - Front of Varne-Ridge Holiday Park
18th July 08, my husband Max and I flew to the UK and eventually arrived at Varne Ridge Holiday Park, Capel-Le Ferne, fabulous place situated between Folkstone and Dover. This will be our home for three-four weeks. http://www.varne-ridge.co.uk/ The park overlooks the English Channel and on a fine day France is visable. Most people who stay here are channel swimmers, so lots of channel chatter goes on! We are very fortunate to have Perth swimmers Tony, Karen and Arron staying here. Steven, Karen and family also from Perth are staying at parents place just down the road from us.

Carrol, Tony, Arron and Steven - cold water acclimatising at Dover UK

On our first weekend morning on Dover pebbled beach there were at least 30-40 swimmers disrobing and getting ready to begin their Channel swim training. Some are swimmers who will be attempting their second crossing, others long Distance Swims (Manhattan), members of relay teams or newcomers like Arron, Tony, Steven and myself preparing for a solo swim.

Dover Harbour


Training is run by Coach Freda Streeter, referred to as 'The Channel General'. She has a beach team of very handy helpers who stand at the waters edge handing out feeds (warm Maxim, maybe half a banana), check to see you are OK and sends you off again. Freda is the mother of Alison Streeter MBE. Alison has completed more channel swims than anyone - 43 solos, duo crossings and the only female to swim a trio crossing. She now has her own pilot boat 'Rocco'.

We continued training, mainly to acclimatise to cold water in Dover Harbour which I believe is 1.4km wide and 2km long and temperature between 15-16C during August/September. Would you believe it could be possible to bump into another swimmer - well I did, yes, you named him....'Wheres MAX?' When you least expect him, BUMP, there he is. How hilarious is that! As well as Max...hmm...the harbour is shared by channel swimmers, several small colourful yachts, anchored boats scattered here and there and a few practicing rowers, all of these have to be looked out for. Also to look out for and look forward to is swimming at the ferry end of the harbour, as it is an absolute delight viewing the magnificent White Cliffs of Dover. Makes it well worthwhile training!!

White Cliffs of Dover

The first two hours were fun and exciting and just being here amongst these special people was exhilarating, the water is rather flat in the harbour and as I usually breath only to the left, tried to do some bilateral breathing. If only I can achieve this breathing style....keep training...once I have the rhythm of breathing both sides, the challenge becomes a little enjoyable. We are all getting used to undressing and dressing on the beach as there are no changing rooms!
I envy my Perth swimming training mates, Arron, Tony and Steven so much. They have just completed their solo swims. I feel so, so happy for them...Congratulations! I realise not for the first time that we are all desperate for not only our own success but for each others.

After two weeks of acclimatising to the cold water conditions in Dover Harbour and the last swimmer from Perth yet to swim the channel (temp. around 15-16 degrees Celsius) I received a phone call from my pilot, Neil Streeter -(support boat 'Suva'). My booked tide was 7-16 August '08 but Neil insisted that tomorrow 31st July '08 is a good day.!. start time 8:30am - great, daylight time.

Max and I organised the remaining equipment, food etc. with help from David and Evelyne, owners of Varne Ridge. The next morning, after an incredibly, unexpected sound sleep, we had breakfast of porridge and bananas and set off to Dover Marina to find our support boat. We were greeted by Tony and Karen Parbery who previously agreed to be support crew, how lucky was that! I couldn't have had a more experienced crew.

The starting place is to be Samphire Hoe, a beautiful pebbled beach about 15-20 mins. south of Dover Harbour. During this trip Max greased me up with 'channel grease' to stop friction burns from the prolonged exposure to salt water. Contrary to popular belief the grease has no insulating properties. He liberally applies grease to my armpits and inner arms, back of neck and shoulders and I felt he took too long and used too much grease between my legs...Yuk ! A green light stick was then pinned on the back of my bathers for safety reasons. After swimming to shore and free from the water, the hooter sounded from the boat and my journey commenced. An incredible, nervy, exciting feeling. I'm ready, I'm confident and pleased with the crew and weather.

It was a cloudy day, quite calm, water temperature tolerable and the first 2 hours went very fast and smoothly. Feeds OK on every half hour and there was always a crew member watching me with full of encouragement. After 4 hours I was feeling nausea and having a mental downfall - oh no! Tony swam with me for an hour to perk me up. 'Think of all the people' he said. I remembered all the positive things people have said to me and all the amazing people I've met along my journey. I was still feeling sick, weak, having negative mental thoughts - all I wanted to do was get out and onto the boat. Max waved the Australian flag - The Boxing Kangaroo (given to me by Rotto Channel Swimmers I train with in Perth). This, if anything, should have spurred me on, but it didn't! After three attempts to grab the boat ladder (Neil kept accelerating the boat). 'How dare he, I thought. How cruel. But at last I was able to grab the ladder and was so disappointed to end my swim, right there after only 6 hours - almost half way across the channel.

OK, so there were no calls/emails of congratulations, but within myself I know I haven't failed. The Channel might have won this year, but next year will be a different story.

Max, crew and I are all disappointed. We know that I:

  • Am able to physically swim the distance
  • Must work very hard on mental side of the swim - my main concern
  • Train longer and more sessions in open water situations
  • Get the food/drink correct
  • Did I forget to enjoy, have fun and smile?
The confidence is with me and I know I can achieve this challenge - so Max and I have booked for another attempt in August 2009 ! Never give up.

A dream is still waiting.....

We thoroughly enjoyed the rest of our UK holiday. With a rented car we B & B'd through lower end of England. Cornwall was just beautiful...colourful flowers everywhere and the coast line is stunning. After a week we returned the rented car and caught a flight to Guernsey Island. We previously arranged to stay with Mike and Evelyn Bamfield who showed us most of the island and a very enjoyable time. They are members of the Guernsey Long Distance Swimming Club and we swum every day in open water and afterwards, a few drinks and chatter were enjoyed at the local pub....of course.

Max (white cap) with some of Guernsey Long Distance Swimming Club members

Tide is out at Guernsey Island