Wednesday 25 February 2009

Rottnest Channel Swim


WAtoday Rottnest Channel Swim
21st February '09
Registered entrants - 2298 swimmers consisting of:

Solos - 171 (145 successfully completed the event)
Duos - 140 (133 successful)
Teams - 1,987 (433 successfull teams)
14 Official boats from the Fremantle Volunteer Sea Rescue and approx. 70 volunteers made this event the most successful yet.

Swimmer David Cox (25yr) won the grueling 19.2km swim in a time of 4hrs 40mins. and Jaime Bowler (27yrs) was 1st female over the line with a time of 4hrs 56mins. For all race results refer to: http://bluechip.racetectiming.com/rottnest.html


CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL SWIMMERS

My 8th Solo Swim

All preparations were complete the night before - clothes, food, drinks etc. Somehow I managed to have a good nights sleep. The alarm went off at 4:15am. Breakfast of porridge, banana plus added protein was forced down at this time of the morning.

Max, my husband/support, left home to meet up with the skipper, Graham Clarke, paddler Ian Clarke and continued onto Hillary's Boat Harbour. My daughter Lorelle, grand-daughter Kristen-Jade, her friend Katie and myself headed to Cottesloe for the start of the 19th Rottnest Channel Swim and my eighth solo attempt.

My eldest brother Ian was already there to greet us, I simply love the family support. After registration and grease-up, it was time to head to the start line, where WA Premier Colin Barnett sounded the horn to start the race at 6:45am for the 1st wave of solo swimmers.


Big brother Ian, grand-daughter Kristen-Jade, myself all greased up and daughter Lorelle



In the starting area at dawn - an eerie feeling

Ian Clarke, my paddler was wearing a miner's light and I had a small green flashing light attached to my goggle strap which made our connection at the 500 metre mark so easy and soon after, our boat was by our side. So far, so good. What a great crew, you cannot do this swim without them.


Graham Clarke (Clarky) my Skipper on front of his boat - has lead me over to "Rotto" several times


Breathing on my left side I could see the sun coming up behind me. That was spectacular, what a wonderful feeling, sort of warm and fuzzy on the back. Then something else in the water made me feel warm and fuzzy in another sense. OUCH! a darn stinger stung me right on the lips. OUCH! again on the face and arms .... repeat this four times, OUCH! OUCH! etc. not funny. These stingers have long tentacles that have to be peeled off your skin. Yuk!!! OK, so persevere and just keep swimming.
The water was crystal clear and the bottom of the ocean could be seen all the way over, sand and seaweed, sand and seeweed. I saw no sign of marine life - big or small, and that's OK!




Just finishing a feed

Around the 15km mark I found the swim getting tougher. Come on Carrol just keep swimming, remember all the mental mantras ... well, put them all in place - now. Come on! Draw on that strength, that power and calmness of the mind, time to find that meditative state, and just relax...Relax. I played mind games, focused on my technique, did long, strong strokes and thought about family and friends.

Just keep swimming - is that Rottnest Island ?


I convinced myself that it is good to have your weaknesses surface so you know what to focus on, but is that a load of *!@#* ? I was tired, simply tired.

I imagined I was actually swimming in the English Channel. What! I can't do this EC thing if my energy levels are not the best and my sinuses and throat are burning and so sore.

Hey! Be positive now and 'stuff and flush' this negative thought away. Thank you Shelley Taylor-Smith. Come on! Each stroke is getting you closer to the island and I am determined to just keep swimming.

Where is that Phillip Rock? Where's it gone. Hey! Ian, where is that darn rock?



Hey! Where is that Phillip Rock?


Ian, my valued and very patient paddler, gave me encouragement and positive feedback every feed stop. Break the swim down into bite sized pieces. I mentally swam from feed to feed and each hour had a special 'power' word game to concentrate on. 'The rock is just coming up on the left', says Ian with a grin. Yeah, Yeah....I muttered to myself.

I feel that I turned a corner as far as mental toughness goes.!?! Nothing on my body hurts except my sinuses and throat, I am just tired and hey! I am loving every minute of it .... Isn't this my chosen sport for fitness, health and fun?? Hmmm.

I was timed 1 1/2 hours slower than in previous years. My swim was strong and fast to the 10km mark and I thought great, another 3+ hours swim coming up and I'm finished. But this was not to be as we drifted too far south, like so many other swimmers and the under current was very strong this year .... this is my longest crossing ever - 8 hrs.19min. It was tough going. But, but .... I DID IT!!


The face says it all

I have discovered that long distance swimming is not about being fast, but rather having fun and accomplishing goals in a supportive environment. I can't believe it took me all these years to realise this.

It was wonderful and a very emotional time to walk across the finish line to see and hear my family and friends yelling and waving, their presence and smiles were worth it all. Thanks especially to Judy, Lorelle, Kristen-Jade, Katie, Dee and - Max who managed to rush from the crew boat to the finish line in time to see me finish. A BIG thank you to my support crew!!

Thoughts on my swim

  • Sometimes it is the little things, like watching the sun rising that are the most rewarding
  • Chaffing and jellyfish stings happen
  • If uncomfortable, just stay with it because something will eventually change
  • If something hurts, focusing on good form helps
  • The least of my worries was being eaten by a shark - look out for that boat!
  • Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming - even if you need to throw in some breaststroke. I did this for the very first time!
  • My crew was excellent, understanding, patient and appreciated.
  • Having family and friends to greet you at the finish line is just awesome

This was another great physical and mentally tough swim. There is still a long way to go to be ready to swim the English Channel this coming August.

You just have to love and be dedicated to this sport!



My family supporters - relaxing at the 'Quokka Arms' Hotel



Group photo of successful solo swimmers

The Annual Race - Western Australia

The Rottnest Channel Swim event has come a long way since my first individual swim. On 23 February 1991, sixteen individuals left Cottesloe Beach at 5:30am and seven teams of four started 1/2 hour later. Twelve solo swimmers and all seven teams completed the crossing. Max and myself became the first husband and wife to make individual crossings.

Since 1991, Max has completed three solos, one duo with myself and several team events. He has been my valued support person and sometimes paddler on my eight successful solo crossings and two unsuccessful crossings - illness and bad weather conditions.

2009 - The 19.2km ocean swim from Cottesloe Beach to Rottnest Island has turned into an annual race. With 64 marker buoys plus float lines placed in the water, it is one of the largest open water swims in the world with a gathering of over 10,000 spectators, supporters and competitors on Rottnest Island. More than 750 support craft are involved and over 100 volunteers and staff assist on the beaches and the water to ensure everyone is accounted for at the end of the day. Oh, did I mention that according to the RCSA, over 180 kegs of beer are consumed on the island!!

We have and always will be proudly involved as a swimmer or a volunteer.

What's next

> Five months of long hard training (March to July) continuing the preparation towards my English Channel crossing scheduled for mid August.

> Maybe enter a swim thru and an AUSSI Masters carnival for fun and variation.


Just keep swimming - a breathtaking experience